Release Date: Feb 28, 2018
1. What’s your favourite cafe in the Tokyo?
Cafe Lapin, Okachimachi. The sandwich and potatoe salad go perfect together with the coffee.
2. Favorite cafe in the world?
Caffe Umbria, Seattle. Espresso is super creamy.
3. How many years have you worked at Luigi?
9 years now
4. How did you get into coffee?
I used to be a regular customer here… the rest is history.
5. How many coffees do you have everyday?
Um, Less than 10…
6. Maximum number of coffees you’ve ever had in one day?
I drank 50 cups in Seattle one day… I was shaking… 6 point 5.
Wait 15 or 50?
Five Zero. Fifty. 50.
7. What’s the most expensive cup of coffee you’ve had?
Cafe de Flore in Paris, 8 euros. But it is well worth it for the people watching.
8. What’s the best food that goes with coffee?
Every rich liquor cake
9. What type of coffee setup do you have at home and what do you drink?
I have several espresso machines at home… but I usually only make myself filter coffee.
10. How do you describe the taste of a delicious espresso?
Something like Nutella
11. Where did you have a really delicious cup of coffee recently?
Musashi-Itsukaichi. Otono Coffee (In Japanese, オトノコーヒー)… Iced Coffee tasted like Cognac!
12. Do you have a favourite kissaten?
Cafe Lapin! or Banka in Hoya…
13. What three words would you use to describe LUIGI?
Independent, Old-school, cosmopolitan.
14. What’s the best thing about being a barista?
I see people with many different backgrounds having an ol’ chitchat in the queue.
15. What’s the most challenging part about being a barista?
You should be tough under pressure. Everyone wants good coffee!
16. Who is someone that you look up to in the coffee industry?
Our President, Mr Shimazu.
17. The coolest movie with a coffee scene in it?
“Bagdad Cafe” and “Kamome Shokudo”… it’s the music and story that gets me!
18. Who should everyone follow on instagram?
That’s an easy one – @goodcoffeeme of course!
19. Most important thing you’ve learned being a barista?
The mi-casa-tu-casa mind
20. Best background music to play while you’re making coffee?
Depends on the moment, but can’t go wrong with Rock around the clock.